About Me

I am a guy with petrol running in my blood and a V12 in my chest cavity. i have a dog with an attitude problem and my girl frnd is convinced that i am having an affair with my Scorpio. I will try to offer you best advices on how to maintain your SUV, and how to save this world :) bleh.

Popular Feature

Analysis and Review of Mahindra Xylo If you are someone who has been surfing the web and is interested in auto, it will be hard for you to miss the buzz .........Read more:

Off-roading Experience in India - Scorpio conquers Rajmachi

Guest post by my friend Varun
 
Having lived in a city the best part of my driving life, the joy of driving had escaped me. Being stuck in traffic every single weekday on my way to work had ensured I hated the sight of the steering wheel on the weekends. Then, I hit upon the great idea of going off roading. This was around July last year.

To off road, I needed to find myself a good trail and a great SUV. I borrowed my friend’s Scorpio for the same, which was recommended by a few off roaders I met at the community meet for an off road forum in Mumbai. For a weekend getaway, they also suggested I hit the Rajmachi stretch, which provides ample opportunity for the kind of off roading I was looking at. The terrain is real challenging when it rains, and as luck would have it, it rained when I drove there!

Getting there:
Mumbai to Rajmachi is 121 km, and the drive from Mumbai to Rajmachi takes about 2 hours by car. Some off road essentials they suggested:

Hitch and Winch
A front-mount and/or rear-mount hitch. Say you or your buddy slide off of the trail and get buried in too much mud for the truck to handle. With your winch and a stable, secure mounting point (like a thick tree trunk or another vehicle) you can quickly and easily pull the truck back to safety

Off Road Recovery Kit
These kits typically contain heavy-duty tow straps, gloves and a spot light to help you get the most out of your winch system.

Tire Gauge and Compressor
To adjust tire pressure, depending on the terrain.
Bull bar / Grille Guard or Light Bar These guards protect your vehicle’s bumper, grille and headlights when you’re tearing through things.

Lights
If you plan on driving after dark, you can get some heavy duty lights.
The Ride: We (me and my girlfriend) set out in the morning around 8 from Bandra in Mumbai to avoid the morning traffic. Reached Rajmachi around 11(we stopped for breakfast). It had been cloudy throughout. Just as we hit the trail, it started to rain. We couldn’t believe our luck!

We decided to give the rain some time to slush up the terrain before we could tear it. We spent an hour by the roadside taking in the greenery. An hour later, the terrain was perfect and looked daunting. Just what we were looking for!
We tore the terrain, as slowly as we could, just to feel those bumps, and take in the sweet smell of slush as it rose from our wheels. That one ride and I fell in love with the wheel all over again.

And The Scorpio handled it like a dream. The suspension is both comfortable and intuitive at the same time, allowing you that satiation every time you negotiate the tricky road, while reassuringly securing you as well. The build of the Scorpio makes you feel like you own the terrain (The car you walk into, not crawl into!). And at the end of the road, it came out a winner.

As for us, the terrain helped us de stress and reconnect with nature, and is an experience I will remember for a while. I strongly recommend it to everyone who’s reading this.

-Varun

0 comments:

Post a Comment



 

xylo_wallpaper_1

Tata_Sierra_82111

square1

Maruti-Grand-Vitara-2.0-AT1

clouds

clouds over the highway

xylo_wallpaper_21

mahindra.classic.1601